Sunday, June 8, 2008

Why Blog

I became fascinated with blogging a few years ago. At first I thought they were a new form of fiction – a type of cyber novel – then I found out more as I began reading and following a few. I became intrigued. With a few, I became hooked.

The first one I followed with some regularity had to do with a young man from Sacramento, California, named Casey. He was facing foreclosure on a number of houses he had purchased over a short period of time. Of course, he did this at the height of the market, right as it imploded. He owed over 2.2 million dollars. His blog became its own form of webtainment. It had its own cast of characters – from Casey himself, to his readers, including “Sputnik the Cat” and “The Trailer Park Boys” to what later became his Haterz. His blog created many more blogs and forums – mostly those dedicated to haterz.

Casey’s blogging experience was probably, as a social experiment, the best of and the worst of the internet. It brought out the kindness of many who offered assistance, who over time were thrown under the bus by Casey and his own selfish needs and desires. It also illustrated and gave readers a glimpse of the worst of the internet universe – the predators who wanted to ride on Casey’s growing media celebrity.

With Casey, they’d found the goose that laid the golden egg.

Since that time, the blogs I follow mostly surround the subjects of personal finance and money. Some of these blogs are very informative. Some of these blogs tell a great story. With some blogs, it’s obvious the author is using it as a money making venture. And, some of these blogs are just great webtainment.

For me, the purpose of Future Unknown multiple: In part it is a journal as I navigate the unknown waters of what it means to be disabled, to redefine my life, to challenge myself in ways I’ve not been challenged before. It is also a journey of personal finance, facing the reality of disability and unemployment. The physical and psychological toll of how I accept the changes taking place within my body, adapt to the medication (morphine) that robs me of my cognitive skills and functions, leaving me unable to do the work I so love. And finally, it is an experiment. Can this blog, in someway, assist me in using my creative skills and talents, to earn money? Can some of the loss in income I am experiencing by being on an unpaid medical leave of absence somehow be recouped?

I’ll share more soon.

No comments: