Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Story - The Lemons of 2008

"Good Evening" - Imagine Alfred Hitchcock's opening words from his classic television series. This is the opening narration of this blog, my story, and the journey we will be taking.

I'd like to think I'm your typical 44 year old single female, but I know that's not true. There have been bumps in the road along the way. 2008 has been the worst year of my life.

Seriously.

I'm not kidding.

Since the beginning of the year, I have encountered or experienced the following:
  • The flu - very nasty, missing two weeks of work
  • Pneumonia
  • Broken Ribs (caused by caughing from the pneumonia)
  • Evidence of damage to my heart muscle discovered during an x-ray when I had pneumonia
  • The death of my mother (including being her hospice care giver for two weeks prior to her death)
  • Arguments with my brother over my mother's property and estate prior to her dying
  • A raging kidney infection following my mother's death resulting in four missed weeks from work
  • I am now into week nine of a leave of absence from my job due to a serious illness (more about that later) and I'm not sure if I'll ever be healthy enough to return to work.
I have missed more days at work since the start of the year than attended. Not good for business. I'm surprised I still have a job. I'm thankful and grateful my employer is still paying for all of my insurance benefits.

Bottom line: Life has handed me a ton of lemons during the first six months of 2008 - normally I'd be reaching for the Patron (Silver) Tequlia - but I'm on morphine and am unable to drink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is a bad year. I'm so sorry that your mom passed away, and I hope that you recover soon from your illnesses. Once you do - you deserve a vacation!

Leslie said...

Hi I just found your blog...

I'm really sorry to hear how terrible your year has been. :(

I really hope the second half of the year improves by a lot