Friday, June 13, 2008

Character, Karma and all that Crap

I don't know who said it, but here's a quote I found in my inbox one day:

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

People talk about character. Sometimes they'll say that a challenge in life, such as a medical illness or financial hardship, is a "character building experience." People have also told me, "God never gives us no more than we can handle."

I say, "No Way."

I was not at the end of some line and born character deficient, and now in life am subject to all sorts of negative karma to build character to assure my spot in heaven. Nor am I some amazing person who can handle infertility, divorce, and long-term illness. And, my best friend isn't the Senior VP of an international software company with a loving husband and two great kids because God decided she can't handle the crap I got.

I think things happen in life. It is what we do with what we get, the decisions we make, the paths we follow, and the journeys we take are what guide, define and shape us. We have free will. We all have capacity for kindness and compassion. And, when we need him/her, God is there for all of us - equally.

Sometimes life just sucks. And when it does - grab the tequila - or make some lemonade.

No comments: