Friday, July 11, 2008

Reader Comments and Update

Wow - people are reading and commenting on the blog.
Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.
Question: Am I Preachy?
One person offered the following comment:

I really looked up your blog to see who brazenly keeps telling what other bloggers what to do/not do and was rather disarmed when I saw what you're going through. You come across as somewhat preachy but medication affects you and the way you think and convey your thoughts.

This person really nailed a problem I'm having.

I know the morphine can alter behavior and reactions to situations - and I'm slowly learning how it is doing it to me. I'm far more sensitive and can be offended very easily. One of my neighbors offended me this week in a big way - left me in tears. It was so bad I called my therapist for an emergency session. He even said my reaction was out of proportion and thought my emotions and behavior were being influenced by the morphine.

Today, when speaking with another neighbor about the situation, she mentioned many people in our little condo community have notice and discussed the change in my behavior since starting Fentanyl and then changing to morphine. (For clarification, I live in a small condo development with 29 units and by choice have a community garden, share a weekly meal, and have an active after school program for the children.) Geez - I just love being the center of attention and fodder for the gossip girls.

I asked her how they felt my behavior had changed - I wanted specifics. She gave me an example. I thanked her and told her she was the first person to have shared with me any concern or raised any question regarding the morphine's influence my thinking process or behavior beyond what I had noticed and have openly discussed. (I have been honest with my neighbors -- when they noticed I was no longer going to work or driving -- I sent them an e-mail about what was going on and why... I don't know how much of the gossip is influenced because they think they are seeing a change because they expect to see a change.

Anyway, I know the narcotics play with my mind and the thinking process - it is one of the reasons initially I took the medical leave as the medications were being changed. I knew during those weeks my mom was passing away the Fentanyl was affecting my thought process and contributing to depressive feelings.

So dear readers - I will be honest with you and ask you to be honest with me. And, most importantly, let's be kind to each other.

Question: Do I Qualify for Benefits?

There was another very wise comment/question I would like to respond to:

You might want to make sure your disability coverage covers you if you are
disabled for only your own field. If not and if your limits are mainly cognitive
the disability company can claim that you could do a job that doesn't have
significant cognitive requirements and not grant you benefits.

In the early days of my medical leave, I was in constant contact with my office. At first I was in withdraw from the Fentanyl (Duragesic had been taken off the market and no patches in my prescription could be found at any of the local pharmacies). The physician at the pain clinic prescribed Methadone and when I spoke to my office, they freaked. This is when they told me that they had wondered if it was good for me to have been working on the Fentanyl and before returning to work, they wanted a note from my doctor stating I was once again able to work and would be 100%.

The Methadone was not a good medication for me, so a week later I was back in the pain clinic. We discussed my employer's wanting a note and the 100% comment - this is when I was told and it sunk in for the first time - I would never again be 100% - I would never again be the person I was before. I started on the morphine treatment and was feeling pretty good (morphine has a certain euphoric quality to it).

I spoke with the office and discussed the doctor's comment about 100% - we acknowledged that while it was unfortunate in many ways, compared to some co-workers, their 100% was equal to my 50% or 25%. If we could work together to identify and define a "new 100%" with reasonable expectations then it could work.

And then the side effects started to settle in. It didn't take too long. The doctor said to be patient, that sometimes it takes four to six weeks for the body adjust and adapt and the initial symptoms to leave. I spoke with my office once again - at this time we'd started talking about "plan B" - a continued medical leave with my going on long-term disability.

My company signed with this insurance provider in November, 2006 - since then, I have been paying the premium monthly with after tax dollars.

This is how my company's policy reads regarding the definition of a disability for which benefits are paid on a claim:

Disability and disabled means that because of an injury or illness, a significant change in your mental or functional abilities has occurred, for which you are:

Prevented from performing at least one of the material duties of your regular occupation during the first two years of disability and after two years are unable to perform all of the material duties of any gainful occupation; and,

Unable to generate current earnings which exceed 80% of your current monthly earnings from your regular occupation or any gainful occupation.

My office sent me the forms and I've met with my primary care physician to complete the paperwork. Since then I've spoken with the Rep from the Insurance Company who was very helpful: First in determining my office had an old form; he got me the the new form. Second, providing suggestions on how to best explain my cognitive disabilities and how they relate to my job (I am an architect) much of my work involves using spreadsheets, calculations and standard formulas, climbing ladders, measuring spaces, driving to client meetings, etc.

While I'm still able to express myself (put letters to paper that create words that string into sentences becoming paragraphs to finally convey a thought or idea), I am unable to do complicated spreadsheets and complex math calculations. I fell twice yesterday in my home due to dizziness - so I'm not the best person to be crawling around a building site, climbing ladders, etc. And, there is no way I would be myself or anyone else at risk by driving my car to client meetings.

So, for now, there are people at the office who can be rising stars. They aren't me and they can't fill my shoes, but they can take the opportunity and run with it. (I was heading up a $100 million project when I left and had a client requesting I manage their $300+ million project that starts next year.) The disability insurance can give both my employer and I some time to assess my strengths and translate those into billable and revenue generating opportunities. My disability insurance pays a percentage of my gross salary. Because I paid the premium with after-tax dollars, my disability income is not taxed. Because I maxed out my 401(k) and HSA, the amount I will receive on disability will be the same amount I was taking home every month.

Conclusion - Ask Away!

If you have a question or a comment - please, ask away. I'll do my best to answer. This only took me six hours - not too bad, eh?

2 comments:

Shevy said...

I've noticed that you write a fair number of comments on various blogs but that your own blog isn't updated on a very regular basis.

I understand that it's probably impossible to write daily if it takes 6 hours to complete a post (!) but does it take an equally long time to make the comments?

Could you make more frequent posts if you commented less? And which would you prefer to do? I guess I want to be sure you're happy with the balance you have between maintaining your own site and connecting with other bloggers.

And, finally, I apologize if I sounded snarky when you asked Krystal to post all those answers to potential interview questions. Your suggestions were actually really good and my only objection was that it was TMI for her readers. I think they'd all be really helpful for her to do for herself.

Sense said...

Hi, how are you doing? sorry, you don't have to post or anything--I was just wondering...you're on my blogroll, so I've been checking on you lately. :)